How to get rid of ants in the home
No one wants an ant invasion in their kitchen! Prevent & tackle ants in the house with these 3 simple steps to rid your home of ants.
Updated By Wiki Tips English Team
Ants – invaders of homes and picnics. This simple guide on how to get rid of ants can help you ensure they don’t become a problem in your home – in just three steps.
Why do I have ants in the kitchen?
Food is usually the reason ants are attracted to the kitchen. Whether this is pet food or last nights dinner, ants have a way of getting into our kitchens. If you have ants in the kitchen, a follow our steps to getting rid of them. In order to prevent an ant infestation, be sure to tidy up any food and securely seal any open food packaging. Make sure to have a tightly secured bin lid as well.
How to get rid of ants in the home
Don’t just get rid of ants, prevent them from entering
Prevention is the best solution. Besides knowing how to get rid of ants in the home, avoiding the problem of an ant invasion before it’s even happened is your best bet for an ant-free life.
Ants are attracted to food sources, so the prime location to target for prevention is the kitchen. Make the following list part of your routine so you won’t need to know how to get rid of ants in the kitchen (although if you do, try step 3).
- Cover any food you don’t put in the fridge
- Always wash up dishes the same day. You could try recruiting your partner or children for washing-up duty (even if they’re not-so-willing volunteers)
- Take the rubbish out daily
- Wipe away any excess water from work surfaces as ants look to stay near water sources
- Regularly sweep or hoover your floors, especially in the kitchen and under the dining room table.
Get rid of ants through observation
If you do still find that ants have managed to muscle their way into your home, don’t fear. Observation is crucial for getting rid of ants. Start with the following:
- Try to pinpoint where they enter your home. It may be through a window, door or crack in the wall. A magnifying glass can be useful here to track the small creatures
- This can be time-consuming work. Most people don’t have time to wait around watching ants, and who really wants to? However, it will be worth it. Speed the process up by leaving a sweet item out as bait
- Once you have found their trail, follow the worker ants to their nest
- Now you have located the home of the insects, you can get rid of the ants by eliminating the root of the problem
- Use a blender to mix several pieces of orange peel with around 120 ml of warm water. Pour this mixture on top of the ant nest.
Take action to get rid of ants
Action is the final solution for how to get rid of ants in the house. Finding their nest isn’t always possible; so here are some ant-busting actions you can take, using natural products you’re likely to have at home already. Once you know how to get rid of ants in kitchen cupboards and on surfaces, putting this knowledge into practice is simple and fuss-free. Plus, all the suggested substances are child and pet friendly.
- Water and white vinegar. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture and spray the trails the ants use to get into your kitchen. Wipe your worktops regularly with the mixture to prevent future infestations and keep your kitchen ultra clean.
- Soapy water is another safe solution to get rid of ants. Mix a capful of liquid soap with a cup of water and put into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the ants whenever you see them. Once they have all been caught, wipe them up after five minutes. This will allow you to remove them instantly.
- Always make sure to clean any surfaces after removing ants by using a cleaning product, like Cif, this way you can destroy the scent trail left by ants (which can be followed by other ants), and make it less likely that ants will come back.
When buying dishwasher tablets, which of these is most important to you?
If you’re tired of six-legged visitors, don’t worry – with these three steps, you should have an ant-free home. If you’re tired of six-legged visitors, don’t worry – with these three steps, you should have an ant-free home.